So I mentioned last week that I was running out of creative juices and that I might consider bringing back the Three Things posts. They were wildly popular and all plus I loved to recap my weekends and all that we are thankful for but I felt a little like I was bragging and I hate to do that.
1- Date night with my husband that didn’t break the diet bank (or the actual bank for that matter)-
So as you might already know my husband and I have been on a “diet” or “lifestyle change” for a month now and while it has not been easy, we can definitely feel the difference. It basically entails eating low cal, low fat, low sugar foods/meals; lots of water (not drinking our calories away on juices, pops, milk or alcohol); two fruits a day; lots of veggies and moderate exercise. But one day a week we can have fun: eat what we want (within reason) and that day is Sunday. Well, when we got the chance to go out to dinner Friday night thanks to our neighbor’s swapping babysitting “services” with us, well, we were ecstatic!
Of course we did order the one dollar brownie for dessert but hey, it was date night and those don’t come around very often.
2- One proud mama bear– Normally, I don’t like to brag on and on about the kids but today I intend to break that rule a little because I have a great kid who gets overlooked at school and almost every where else because she is just that: a great kid who floats under the radar.
This was a big weekend for my “little” girl. She is officially a 6th grader (sniff sniff) as she finished her last day of school on Friday and she had the game of her life yesterday. It was 95 degrees here and the game was at 12 noon. Us soccer mama’s laughed because every game was miserable this year: cold, windy, blustery AWFUL and they were all in the early morning. The first late day game and it is 100 out. Seriously?
Anyway, even with the heat (and dehydration that affected a lot of the girls) my little pee wee (or Little Monster as her traveling coach calls her) got in there and for lack of a better word kicked butt.
The other mom’s and I were screaming and almost in tears it was so much fun to watch! The other team was undefeated this spring and scored three goals in the first 15 minute quarter. But our team came back and never let them score one more goal to win the game 7-3. Such a proud moment and just so happy for her that she had a game like this to boost morale. Three more games total and we are done for the season….whew. Because as happy as I am that she likes it, I am also looking forward to having our evenings and weekends to ourselves.
Until September that is.
3– Is that me in the mirror?? For as long as I have been blogging here, I have told about my struggles with weight. Since the birth of Ellie, my metabolism has been so screwed up that I was almost praying for menopause..
So it wasn’t until I was under the glaring lights of a too small fitting room in a Kohl’s back in April that I decided- that’s it, I am done. I wanna look good. I wanna wear the cute clothes and not frumpy ones. I wanna feel sexy again. So I decided to take drastic measures and go on a diet.
One stipulation: my husband had to go on it with me. I needed a partner in crime, someone to keep me in check, someone who wasn’t eating a chili cheese dog while I was eating a Lean Cuisine. He agreed and we were off.
A couple things about this “diet” or what we like to call a “lifestyle change”:
– I go to bed hungry every night. I am not by any means starving myself but I am definitely not eating the calories I was eating back in April. It has been a process of my body getting used to it, slowly it is but I still go to bed feeling hungry.
– Chipotle is low fat if you are careful. We can get a Burrito Bol there and it is only 330 calories for an entire meal. This is how I order it- with black beans, lettuce, fresh tomato salsa, steak and green peppers/onions. If you take it to go, put low fat/ fat free sour cream on top for some creaminess. It is so good!
– It is hard to drink four big glasses of water each day. In the beginning, I was vigilant. I had my water with me everywhere. But on days when we had soccer practice, I had to cut back because there are no restrooms there and that could make for a long and painful 90 minutes.
– I feel like it takes everything out of me to exercise. When I was exercising every day in the winter, I felt like it was a pass to eat what I wanted in moderation. I actually gained weight over the winter even with exercising five days a week. Now that I am dieting, I have no energy for exercise beyond taking Ellie to the park or running around the house doing my usual up and down the stairs etc.
But it is paying off because I have lost 11 pounds since the first week in May!
And my husband has lost 10 pounds!
Some weeks are better than others- the week before last I only lost one pound but this past week I lost three AND I spent three days eating basically whatever I wanted because I was on “vacation”.
So I feel like I have tricked my metabolism a little bit and I am so excited and proud of us that we are doing this. You can do this too! I didn’t buy a fancy book at Border’s, spend 10 bucks a week on Weight Watchers or sign up to join a gym. We are doing this on our own, with no help from the outside. We took control of our lives and it feels delicious.
- It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Summer
- I Plead The 4th- Cheap 4th Of July Decor Thanks To Dollar Stores Everywhere