Don’t know who she is?
She is pretty confident you do.
As evidenced in her kinda cocky intro to her 30 Day Shred DVD.
Never heard of it?
I think you have .
It’s a 30 day challenge and each day includes a 20 minute workout.
Well, 18 minutes of circuit training plus 4 minutes total of warm up and cool down.
The circuits are cardio, strength and abs.
And there are three levels of intensity.
You start on level 1 and work your way to level 3.
That is the text-book version.
Let me give you my version.
I started this workout on February 10th.
I finished this workout on March 25th.
I am aware that is more than 30 days.
Here is what happened: I did the first two days back to back.
And then I couldn’t walk for three days.
Well, I could walk but it is the IlooklikeIhadsomethingstuckinmypants kinda walk.
Like a cross between a just walking toddler and a 90-year-old woman.
And that is an insult to toddlers and 90-year-old women everywhere.
It was bad.
My legs hurt so bad, that I cried at night.
BUT I made the mistake of not stretching at the end of each workout.
AND I didn’t wear tennis shoes for the first two workouts either.
I have a thing about wearing shoes in the house.
I got over that real fast after the toddler/90-year-old pain I felt.
So I gave myself four days to recover/ get the feeling back in my legs and started again.
And I was scared.
Because I didn’t want to feel like that.
But like magic, within four days, it was all better.
It’s like my muscles had a pep talk amongst themselves and said “this is how its gonna be from nowon, so suck it up”.
Now, if you decide to take on this challenge here are a few things you have to know.
Natalie is an overachiever.
She will make you feel like you are weak.
And that you are less than her.
Don’t fall into her trap, her lair, if you will.
She wants you to hate her.
Don’t let her smell your fear.
Because she will eat you alive.
And Jillian likes her best.
Way to play favorites, J-dog.
She is gonna be your bff, or your homie, if you will.
She does the “modified” exercises.
Which in Jillian speak means, you suck.
Don’t let that bother you.
Anita “gets” you.
And totally seems like she would love to betray Jillian.
You know, by heading to Smashburger with you on a Friday afternoon.
So here’s the deal, I stuck with this program for the entire time but couldn’t do it every single day for 30 days straight because of my knees.
So I took Sunday’s off.
Because of God.
Name that movie.
I did do most weeks at six straight days but once I hit level 3, my knees were killing me so I had to start with every other day but eventually I was able to do every single day on level 3.
Are you still with me??
I stayed on level 1 for two weeks, level 2 for two weeks and level 3 for two weeks.
So with one day off each week and days off for recovery, pain etc. it ended up totaling six full weeks of exercise which is fine because I really wanted to be active through the entire winter.
Here are some highlights:
– When I wasn’t working out each day, I ended up missing it. A lot. And I noticed my body was going through withdrawal when I went more than a day in between workouts. My mood was so much better when I did the workouts. My hubs can completely attest to this. In fact, one or more times this sixweeks he has said….go workout already. Please.
– I was actually kinda liking Jillian by the end of the 30 days. I went through phases. At first, I loathed her then around level 2 I felt like she was tolerable and by level 3, I felt like she really wanted me to succeed. I know, it’s probably all those feel good natural workout drugs inside of me getting all gushy.
– I am stronger than I have ever been. I feel it in my arms and calves and feel like I am starting out really good to train for another 5k.
*note- I have done two runs since stopping this program. My lower legs hurt. Bad. But my lungs and knees? Better than ever. The lower legs, it has been determined, are because of my running shoes. So I do see a difference already.*
– My abs are not anywhere shredded but I didn’t starve myself while doing this. I did watch what I ate five days of the week but I was really hungry while doing this so it was hard. This winter was hard for me so I think I compensated with food more than most winters so I am glad I did this or I would be 15 pounds heavier this spring. True story.
-When you start level 2, you will feel like someone punched you in the stomach for the first week. At night I would feel like I was having cramps or just like someone was pressing hard on my belly. That is because in level 2 the abs really get worked. Which means nothing to me since I don’t have shredded abs. It was a high price to pay to not see much of an improvement.
So here is the moment of truth.
Where I show you my tummy.
For those weak in stomach or heart, you may want to skip the rest of this post.
If you really like me, or are a family member or friend, this could be a game changer.
Please don’t look at me any differently.
If you think you will, just skip it and know this: my abs look like Jillian’s.
Just like hers.
In fact, if you stood us side by side, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.
I am sure of that.
Here we go…….
Oh my Lawd.
I am not pregnant.
But thanks for asking.
I kinda let myself go this winter.
Like I told my friend Sue last week, my love of food is more powerful than my love of exercise.
And here are the after pics.
Not the glowing after pics you will see on Pinterest.
In fact, I can tell you that this post will definitely not bring people here from Pinterest.
Maybe the showing of skin.
But am afraid that will bring a totally new demographic to the blog.
At least my belly is inside my leggings.
And no, I am not sucking it in.
Trust me, I wish I looked better than this sucking it in.
My stomach doesn’t even respond to the command “suck it in” anymore.
Is that a six-pack or you just happy to see me?
Yeah, still look like I am in the bloated stages of early pregnancy but I will take it.
Side by side:
- Dollar Tree Do’s and Don’t’s. Step Away From The Junk, People
- Four Ingredient Recipes- Meatball Pockets