I said it.
It isn’t something I like to admit to readily.
I mean, it isn’t like admitting that you love cheesecake more than your children.
WHO SAYS THAT?
Or “The Jewel” as it is affectionately called.
They have this amazing catering section that we have loved for years.
Fried chicken, wings, salads, you name it, we have eaten it.
So when we have parties for over 20 people, we call out the big guns.
“The Jewel”.One of such salads that was always a go-to was the illustrious SEVEN LAYER SALAD.
With all of its cheesy, bacon-y. egg-y. pea-y goodness?
Oh yeah and there is lettuce too.
Oops, forgot that part.
Heh. Heh.First I should mention that my love for seven layer salad started as a young girl.
My mom made an amazing seven layer salad that would put “The Jewel” to shame.
Make it want to stand in a corner with shades on, a Bud Light in it’s shameful little hands and with its head down.
SHAME SHAME SHAME.
If you want the recipe and you are personal friends with me on Facebook, please go to my mama’s wall and ask her about it.
She will give you the recipe.
If you are not, email me and I will give it to you.
I have a feeling most seven layer salads are the same though and I don’t know why I gave above ^^^ “shame” a Bud Light.
BUT the Seven Layer Salad takes time to create.
Which for a gathering is fine but for my family, which only two of us will eat?
It’s too much work.
Hence the “The Jewel” seven layer became a STAPLE in our family over the years.Then out of the blue a few years ago, “The Jewel” just stopped carrying the elusive seven layer salad.JUST STOPPED CARRYING IT.
What kind of jacked up marketing ploy is that?
I still look.
I search in the deli aisle.
Then I check the imported cheese section.
Then I head over to the deli counter.
You would think I learn my lesson after five years.
As I was ordering online for the aforementioned 8th grade graduation party, I looked under the salads section, you know, just in case.
Lo and behold CUE THE HARP MUSIC AND CHURCH CHOIR AHHHH SOUNDS.
There was my beloved seven layer salad.
For only $26.99 I could order enough layer salad to feed our party AND stuff my face with it before guests got there.
You do it too.
But when I want to have seven layer salad on say, a Sunday night with a cookout?
Yeah, $26.99 layer salad that serves 16 people doesn’t help me out.
But if I am having a bad week?
TOTALLY ORDERING IT and eating it in front of a DVR full of Botched, Housewives and Teen Mom.
The hubs and I were recently in “The Jewel” and I found an off brand layer salad.
At first I was excited!!
Then I looked at the fat grams.
In one serving.
64 grams of fat in a half of a cup.
It was on the spot that I said out loud, I am making my own individual layer salad dammit.
I got looks.
I am good at embarrassing myself in public.
My kids love me.
So here is what I came up with in the aisles of “The Jewel” at 6 pm on a Sunday night.
Food Network, here I come.
Don’t they look yummy????
Here is what you will need:
– a bag of salad. (use whatever you like, I used bagged salad because it is just easier to pull out each serving. But again I AM LAZY)
– hard boiled eggs (they have these pre-boiled in bags now!! LAZY)
– bacon bits
– mayo (low fat is fine too)
– shredded sharp cheddar
– red onion (sliced ) I forgot to add this but this is essential!! OK not really. But essential to me!
Take out how many bowls as people who will be devouring.
In our case it was only two because the girls weren’t interested.
In each bowl, place a little of the lettuce, as much as you like but leave enough room for the other ingredients.
On top of the lettuce, you can add your eggs, bacon, cheddar and onion.
Top off with the mayo.
No one said this is a healthy dish but it won’t be 64 grams of fat.
By the way, you can make this Weight Watchers friendly by using low fat cheese OR string cheese, low fat mayo etc. The onion and lettuce are 0 points and the bacon bits are only 1 point per tablespoon.
But I did not make this healthy because it was my cheat day.
Serve as is and then mix all the ingredients together as you eat it.
Holy balls this is so good.
You will want seconds.
Make enough so you can have seconds.
- Bag of salad
- Hard boiled eggs (as many as you prefer)
- Bacon bits
- Low fat or full fat Mayonnaise
- Shredded sharp cheddar
- Red onion, sliced into rings
- In each bowl, place a little of the lettuce, as much as you like but leave enough room for the other ingredients.
- On top of the lettuce, you can add your eggs, bacon, cheddar and onion.
- Top off with the mayo.
- No one said this is a healthy dish but it won't be 64 grams of fat.
- By the way, you can make this Weight Watchers friendly by using low fat cheese OR string cheese, low fat mayo etc. The onion and lettuce are 0 points and the bacon bits are only 1 point per tablespoon.
- But I did not make this healthy because it was my cheat day.
- Mix the ingredients as you eat and man, it is GOOD.
- Changes. I Won’t Say Ch Ch Ch Ch Changes Because That Title Has Been Done to Death
- Kari’s Terrible No Good Very Bad Day; Why I Won’t Be Starting a Resume Writing Service