That title is a little misleading because that isn’t entirely what this post is about.
But I do feel the need to narrow down my titles.
I feel like they are a little too long winded, kind of like me.
If I had my way, that title up there would look something like Why I Don’t Shop at Walmart Anymore and OMG This Weekend Was So. Much. Fun. AND LUCY ALMOST DIED!!! Did I Tell You About My New Lamp? ALDI!
Maybe I should just write my posts like one big a#@ haiku or like one long rambling title.
It would save me time and it would give you ten more minutes of your life back each week.
For years I have had a hate/hate/hate/ kind of like/ naw really hate relationship with Walmart.
The only thing redeeming being they were saving me money.
Then the damn place refused to take the printable coupons from the Internet a few years ago and it stopped being redeeming at all.
I would say to myself….no wait not even to myself, out loud mind you, as I was walking down each aisle, “WHY IN THE HELL DO I SHOP HERE??”.
For many reasons but the main three being:
1- the employees aren’t really friendly with the exception of my cash register ladies who know me. I do love them. But the rest suck. Even the managers. ESPECIALLY the managers.
2- my particular store is always busy with the worst type of customer. I have to get up at the butt crack of dawn to get in there before the scary people. Which is like 6 am- 8 am only.
3- Walmart’s business politics stinks. All you need to do is watch the documentary, WalMart: The High Cost of Low Price. I guarantee a half hour into the movie you won’t ever want to shop at a Walmart ever again.
I am not going into it any further than that because this isn’t that kind of blog.
Her name is Aldi, ever hear of her?
That is $104.96 for two weeks of groceries.
No, Aldi gets me to focus on my task at hand.
For example, I had friends over for the Cradles to Crayons swap party this weekend so obviously I wanted to serve some yummy food.
So here was the food spread the day of my party:
It included two kinds of cheeses: Havarti (FANCY LIKE!) and aged cheddar; a veggie tray that I made with french onion dip (no MSG by the way because Aldi only sells non-MSG items); potato chips; tortilla chips; Frito’s; sea salt pita chips; hummus; strawberries; salsa and queso dip and white wine.
How much do you think this all cost?
Some things to know before you go:
-you have to pay a quarter to get a cart but you get it back at the end of your trip. Some people have issues with this. Seriously, you get it back.
– Aldi has a funny smell. I have been in more than one and they all seem to. I don’t know if it is all the boxes they keep everything in but I am totally willing to look beyond it because then I do not have to go back to Walmart. Wear nose plugs if you have issues with that kind of thing. Or stick Mentholatum up your nostrils.
– the physical store is small so your shopping trips are faster, saving you not only money but time as well. Aldi is a giver.
– the 1% milk isn’t with the rest of the milk. It is on the bottom shelf with the creamers. You are welcome.
– you can only pay cash or debit which is how they keep prices low. Do not pay in pennies because that is annoying. Go to the bank or Coinstar before you go.
– you have to bag it yourself with your own bags or bags you can buy there but I pull an IKEA every time and keep my bags in the back of my car and bag everything in the parking lot. They do have counters inside to do it there if that is your thing or if the weather is bad.
They have the best produce, organic items, they have tons of gluten free items and NO MSG, people.
Say bye bye to the ball and chain and have a fling with Aldi.
Speaking of swapping, WHAT?? My friends were amazing and brought so many donations for Cradles to Crayons.
And here it is after the party:
The swap party was lots of fun too.
I love my friends so much.
So as I mentioned at the beginning of the post, we had a scare on Sunday morning.
It was when we found her upside down on Sunday morning that we kind of got worried.
Here she is at the bottom of her tank all depressed.
I have to say, I was really sad.
It turned out all was fine with Lucy.
After the party, I had a couple of bags of adult clothing leftover to donate so the next day Mike and I found a cool new resale store about 40 minutes away.
I have a “thing” about names and this drew me in immediately because this was my grandma’s middle name so of course I had to go.
It is a nicer version of Goodwill.
Someone on Yelp compared it to the difference between Target and Walmart.
See how I made this post turn full circle?
And I found this cool lamp.
It looks very 70’s retro but it isn’t why I fell in love with it initially.
Probably because it was something I couldn’t buy at Walmart OR Aldi.
Aren’t you glad I didn’t put all of that into the title?
- How Netflix is Bringing Back “Thursday Night” #StreamTeam
- If I Had John Hughes on a Deserted Island